Wednesday, March 12, 2008

My baby is nearly 3!

I can't believe that my baby boy is going to be three years old in about eight hours time! It seems like only yesterday that I was eight days over my due date and under threat of induction. He must have known that I wanted something to happen, because at 5am on the 12th I went into labour naturally, spent most of the day at home and ate a hearty lunch of sausage and mash with my in-laws, before realising at about 5pm that my contractions were every 5 minutes, lasting quite a long time and were pretty painful! Simon dashed to get me in the car and we drove the mile or so to the hospital in Essex. The photo is me on my actual due date - March 5th...It's become a tradition on Harry & George's birthdays to look at their newborn photos and the albums we have of them from then up to now. I love remembering the early days and was a voracious camera wielder trying to capture every change in the boys. I think they really enjoy seeing themselves too.On arrival at the hospital, the midwife examined me and said I was 6cm's dilated - it was just the best news I'd ever heard following Harry's labour which was induction, back-to-back, failure to dilate, etc etc. I asked for an epidural and this was administered quickly enough for Simon to pop out and grab me a cheese and pickle sandwich (I never forget to eat!), watch some Parkinson on TV and catch my breath for the third stage of labour. The midwives let the epidural wear off for the pushing stage, so I swore at them a bit for not telling me they'd do that, but I'm so glad they did because it was the most amazing feeling being able to deliver George all by myself.

He was delivered onto my tummy and I think I was in shock at having a new baby when Harry was just 15 months old himself and had only taken his first steps that week. Georgie was born at 12.04am weighing in at 9lbs 1oz, 53cm long and head circumference of 35.5cm. That was a 'small' baby in relation to Harry who was 9lbs 11.5oz!

Now here we are three years later living our adventure in San Francisco.
This morning, George began his celebrations with a Spiderman cake at our morning park day. Tomorrow he will be at pre-school and is taking a gift and cookies in to share with his classmates. We'll be having a birthday tea for him at home in early may when his Grandma Linda & Grandad Jim are visiting - so there is much excitement to come!



3 comments:

Sivan said...

Happy birthday Mummy, Daddy and Georgie!!! So happy and excited you're here in Cali so we can celebrate all these special big moments with you!
Love,
Lia, Maya, Sivan, and Mike.

LilMama said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GEORGE!!! Sofia and I are so lucky to have met you guys. I'm glad you love living here because we love having you here. Here's to the big #3!!!

Helen said...

Absolutely sweet photos. Happy Birthday George!