Friday, June 6, 2008

Toads new home

We are rapidly learning about care for Fire Belly Toads - we have a book, we've visited the pet shop and I am now proficient at feeding the toads live crickets without letting the crickets loose around the house (which Harry and George think is hilarious!).

They now have funky pink gravel in their tank, and a pink plant in their water. Harry's friend Isabelle, sent a beautiful painting over to the boys from England, so that is their 'scenery' when they're not basking in the water, watching us, or feeding.

Harry's new hobby is catching crickets in the garden to feed to the toads......he's pretty good at it. We've also been feeding the crickets red food - things like red pepper and carrot. This helps the toads to retain their 'fire bellies'. WHAT an education!

1 comment:

Helen said...

So cute! And you are braver than I with those crickets. When I hung my laundry outside for that very brief time, I brought in a pile of dry clothes and set them on the bed, and found later that more than a dozen crickets had hitch hiked there way in on the clothing, INTO MY BED!!